Due to COVID-19, notary services are by appointment only. To schedule an appointment with a notary public, please call 845-236-7272 ext. 220. Our notary will return your call when in office.
As a public service, the Library provides notary service free-of-charge.
All notarial transactions require personal photo identification. Notaries will not provide service if the customer, document or circumstances of the request for Notary Service raise any issue of authenticity, ambiguity, doubt or uncertainty for the Notary. In this event, the Notary may, at his/her sole discretion, decline to provide Notary Service.
Please be aware:
- The person whose signature is being notarized must be present with a valid photo ID (a current driver’s license or passport is necessary).
- The library does not supply witnesses. Witnesses must accompany the person whose document is notarized and have proper identification. The Notary cannot act as a witness.
- Notary service is not available for wills.
- Notaries cannot provide legal advice or counseling regarding documents.
- New York Notaries cannot certify copies of documents, notarize photos, or wills.
- We cannot perform a notarization if the signer and the notary cannot directly communicate with one another in English.
The Library is a U.S. Passport Acceptance facility. Passport service is available on an appointment-only basis. Please call ahead to make an appointment with one of our agents; not all staff are trained to process applications. To make an appointment, please call 845-236-7272 ext. 212 or 218. To assure a smooth process, please prepare for your appointment by noting the following:
- Please complete the application form, but do not sign.
- Submit proof of U.S. citizenship. It must be certified by a governmental agency and have a raised seal. This is usually a birth certificate or naturalization papers. Hospital issued birth certificates, baptismal certificates, and photocopies are not acceptable. This documentation is sent off with your application and eventually returned.
- Submit one personal check or money order made out to the U.S. Department of State. Submit thirty-five dollars in cash for the Marlboro Library. Check with staff for correct amounts. (Cash, credit cards or debit cards are not accepted by the U.S. Department of State.)
- Bring a photo of yourself. Check the State Dept.’s web site (below) for dimensions, specifications, and requirements. The Library doesn’t take passport pictures.
For information on passport requirements click here. (travel.state.gov).
For ordering New York vital documents, visit the New York State Department of Health
To print copies of the required forms, click here.